Monday, May 18, 2009

Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone

I was "that girl" in high school. Busy, busy, busy. Worked, played sports, in the band & choir, class prez, salutatorian, banquet (didn't have prom) queen, and in a bunch of other groups/teams. Worked my butt off, and couldn't wait to get out of there & explore the world. I grew up in Northern Maine, and swore I'd never come back- it was too boring, too remote, too limiting.

And I got exactly what I wanted. Married a guy form the midwest & stayed here. While I don't really dislike it here, I miss home like crazy now. Mostly because of my family.. and the gorgeous scenery that doesn't exist in the flatlands.

It's funny.. I just didn't appreciate the place I grew up while I was there, and now it's the one place I'm missing. If I believed in Karma, I'd kick it in the face. :)

So now, the place I once longed to escape is the place I'm racing back to for vacation. Yeah. Vacationing back home. And I can't wait.

Z and I are taking a week in July and going home to spend a week on the lake. Picture it- cute little cottage surrounded by pine & birch trees, the old rope hammock swaying in the wind, the dock my dad made extending out into the cleanest lake water in the county, the speedboat docked & waiting to take us skiing, tubing, knee- or wakeboarding, the canoe and kayaks ready for calorie-burning morning trips as the sun rises, campfires & making smores with the family.. Heaven.

Oh. And there's nothing like waking up at dawn to a lake that's as smooth as glass and being the first waterskiers on the lake. Pure Heaven.

So, I wanted to share some pictures from our more recent (past ~2 yrs.) times at "camp".Sister #1 & I.. goofing off. :)Daddy & I.. a little blurry but I love it!Little cousin & I.Marshmallow Mouths... can you tell we're sisters??My boat driving skills have been known to flip a friend or two.. ;)We made our own comic.. :)The perfect summer snack!

I absolutely can't wait! What're you looking forward to this summer?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Fun pics!!! LOVE your curly hair!!

Mary Michal said...

Awww...that looks like so much fun! You're going to have a blast this summer! I'm a waterbaby too so I completely understand waking up at the crack of dawn to get on the water before anyone else.

The Ratpack said...

I live in the town I grew up in, so I can't say I know how you feel, but I'd say enjoy living somewhere different for while! It looks like where you grew up is gorgeous though!

Lucy Marie said...

Sounds like so much fun!! I am looking forward to camping with my family in Northern Ontario this summer.

By the way, I was also banquet queen at my high school. We didn't have prom either.

(My internet was just being funny so if I posted almost the exact same comment twice, I'm sorry!)

Megan said...

Ahh LOVE yalls hair--very pretty.

Brett Alexandra said...

I can't wait to see my family on the east coast this summer:) I miss them so much.

Brett Alexandra said...

p.s. those pictures are so cute! I just love your curly hair.