Monday, April 13, 2009

Budget Friendly Idea #3

Quick note: As requested, I'll share my super-easy tiramisu recipe soon, but it'll have to wait 'til after work so I can copy it from my recipe box!

Budget Friendly Idea #3- Use what you've got!
This concept can apply to so many areas- simply using what you have already before you buy more. Here are some areas in which I'm going to attempt doing this:
  • Groceries- This is an obvious one. Think about how much stuff you have sitting around in your fridge/cabinets/pantry. I'm going to attempt to use only what we have already (other than milk/limited fresh produce- stuff that goes bad relatively quickly) for the next month or so. It will probably mean getting creative & combining ingrediants I don't normally, but I'm sure my overstuffed apartment cabinets will thank me!
  • Clothing- A tough one for most ladies! I'm also going to try and not buy any new articles of clothing until I've worn everything I own at least 3-5 times. I'm sure this will cause me to break away from those favorites that get overdone too. Of course- this rule will have to change as far as handbags go!! If I allowed myself to buy a new one after I'd used them 3-5 times, I'd be in BIG trouble. :)
  • Necessity Items- Such as toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, Q-tips, hand soap, laundry care items, cleaning products, etc. Not sure about you guys, but I have a tendency to buy new soap or tissue boxes just because there's a new pretty design or color. I'm sure waiting until I need these things will definitely help.
  • Beauty Products- Another tough one! I know I'm not the only one who gets excited about a new kind of hair styling product my fav. line comes out with or the new spring/summer shades of eye shadow. Oh, and don't get me started on buying oodles of hand creme. I cannot count how many bottles I currently have! But no more! I'm using it all up before I even lay my eyes on something new. (really!) I'm sure Z will be happy to have some bathroom storage space back!
What about you? Any other areas that you can think of doing this? Do share!

Photo Credit: http://www.editedinteriors.com/portfolio-organizing.htm

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm loving these ideas! I'm all about the grocery-using, too! Another great idea is to find the boxes or cans of stuff you have, then search that brand's website to find recipes they have for it! (ex: if you have a block of velveeta cheese go to Velveeta's website and find some new ideas for things to make!). Also- I saw the "pay per blog" thing on your sidebar... does that really work??

Lucy Marie said...

Those are great ideas. I try to do a pantry week about once a month where I plan ALL my meals around stuff I already have. It makes me get creative and try new things and saves a bit of money, too.

I'm just glad you didn't give the same piece of advice for toilet paper as you did for clothing. I would be concerned if you were recommending that we don't let ourselves buy new toilet paper until we've used the stuff we've got at least 3-5 times! :D

Courtney said...

Brittany- great idea! Thanks for sharing! Pay-per-post does work, but it's a bit of a challenge to get them to actually give you an offer. Currently, my blog is under review. I've just started the process.

Lucy- Oh gosh! You made me laugh out loud!! That's one thing I'll NEVER reuse!! :)

Lindsey said...

I love these posts!!! So helpful, thank you!

In With the Light said...

maybe this is a bit of a TMI, but this seriously works! someone i used to know in college told me that the way she saved money on toilet paper (which runs out way too fast!). So here is what you do: I do all my "business" elsewhere. Yep, that's right. Public bathrooms. I know that for most, this is super uncomfortable and weird, but find one that is a loaner toilet (we have several here like that at work so it is do trouble at all) and use someone else's TP! It seriously makes our TP last twice as long. Haha..hope that was not too weird!