Thursday, July 30, 2009

The One About Gunshots at Our Wedding

I don't think I've ever told you about Z's plan to never let anyone forget our wedding. Let me just say that yes, I did know about all of this ahead of time, and yes, I did tell him it was okay. ...we're just crazy like that. My uncle was our pastor and he was in on it as well.

So let's go back to November 29th of last year at roughly 5:30pm.

We were married close to my hometown (in ME, his fam & friends are in OH) so most of the guests were my friends and family. And for the most part, none of them knew any of the groomsmen or our out of state friends.

The wedding party walks down the aisle. The music starts & my dad walks me down the aisle. I kiss him & my mom goodbye & walk up the steps to stand with Z. My uncle welcomes everyone and says, "If anyone has reason that these two should not be wed, please speak now, or forever hold your peace".

Just then our friend Lee (from Boston- no one knows him) jumps up, walks out into the aisle towards us and says, "Wait! C, I love you!!".

(My dad told us he was getting ready to stand up and punch the guy..)

Z then looked at his groomsmen and said, "Get 'em boys!".

All the groomsmen reached into their tuxes and pulled out cap guns and started firing wildly at Lee as he ran out of the church. The entire crowd erupted into laughter.

It took a good 5 minutes for everyone to regain composure and for the service to go on. My bridesmaids didn't know what to think, our parents were both shocked & relieved, and Z was basking in the glory of his perfectly executed plan.

It was the perfect way to lift the tension in the room. After that, everyone was smiling, and no one was nervous.

We got innumerable comments from people all night about how it was the most unique wedding they'd ever been to and how they'd never be able to forget it. I got asked several times if I'd known about it, and told how I was so brave to let him do it.

I should've known what a crazy ride the rest of our lives would be- with a beginning like that!

When I asked for Z's input on our wedding, that was his ONLY request. He didn't care about decorations or music or even food. He just wanted to do something that people would remember. And I believe it worked.

Chances are, whenever any of those 175 people hear the words, "speak now or forever hold your peace" at a wedding in the future, they're all going to look around and make sure there's no "secret lover" walking down the aisle. And that's just how Z wanted it. :)


And Lee, if you ever read this- you're the best & we owe you big! :)

8 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

That is hilarious. You are a better woman than I. I think I would have been way too uptight to agree to that.

Lindsey said...

HAHAHAHA!!! Too funny!

Lindsay said...

I LOVE IT!!!! That's awesome! :)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

That is so funny!! And I love those pictures, the first one is awesome! lovely Church.

Annie said...

that is too funny!!
what a great idea! anyone have a video of it? sounds youtube worthy to me ;)
love your pictures hun! you were such a gorgeous bride!!

d.a.r. said...

Hahaha!! That is hilarious!

Troy & Amy said...

Oh my gosh!!!! That would've been so awesome to see! I'm sure I wouldn't have agreed to it at our wedding - but I think if we were married now - I would've. I think I might've been too uptight too.

Stephanie said...

I love it!!! Ya'll are right, no one will ever forget that and I will even think of ya'lls cute story when our preacher is marrying us on August 22!! It will definitely give me something to think about so I don't cry through my whole ceremony :)