Friday, January 30, 2009
K Here it is!
8 Things About Me
1) Post rules on your blog
2) Answer the 6 categories
3) Tag others
8 Favorite T.V. Shows:
1) I have
2) No favorites
4) I am a
5) Channel Surfing
8) Next Time. :)
8 Things I did Yesterday/what a wonderful life I lead
2) Left work early
3) Scored some awesome deals at Marshalls
4) Went grocery shopping
5) Put away some winter decor.
6) Waited for Z to get home & called family
7) Started working on an awesome DIY throw pillow
8) Made an impressive looking pizza
8 Things I look Forward To
1) When Z gets home from work (it's late, lately)
2) Either buying or building our own house
3) My family visiting in March
4) Getting an adorable little puppy (darn apartment rules!)
5) Making some darn friends out here!
6) Seeing Z's face when he finds out what I cooked for him tonight!
7) Having adorable little curly blonde haired babies running around
8) Getting my oversized bum in shape! :)
8 Favorite Restaurants
1) Pizzano's in Chicago.. (although last time I was there it disappeared!!)
2) That italian place we went in Times Square.. what was the name?
3) Starbucks (does that count?)
4) Olive Garden
5) Red Lobster (only for the biscuits!)
6) Cracker Barrel (biscuits again..)
7) Slopes (back home)
8) Wendy's (I don't like fast food, but their light ranch dressing lures me in!!!)
8 Things on My Wishlist
1) New house
2) Travel overseas
3) Moving back home
4) New Living room furniture
5) A memory foam mattress topper
6) To be closer to my family when we have children
7) A bigger kitchen
8) Right now: Starbucks!
8 People I Tag
1) Abby @ Life with B & A
2) Erin @ Blue-Eyed Bride
3) Andrea @ Living Large on a Dime
4) Lindsay @ Learning to be a Wife
5) Megs @ Newbie New Yorker
6) Megan @ Pumps, Pearls, and Politics
7) Jeanie @ Serious Shopaholic
8) Mary @ Welcome to My Life!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
During the Veggie Years, as I'll call them, I tried many many soy and tofu products, and loved most of them- I'll share some @ the end of this post. My friends seemed to think it was great fun to try and trick me to eat meat (Ex: throwing popcorn chicken in my mouth while I was talking, sticking pepperoni under the cheese on my pizza, etc.). But.. I must say, I had a chicken craving from time to time when I smelled it's deliciousness.
Funny story from Veggie Years:
I worked for a grocery store during high school & would help out in the deli from time to time. One day, the manager says, "C, could you go pick the chickens for me?". Okay, so really, I knew it had to do with the rotisserie chickens, but I was a bit unclear on the rest. But, to be a good employee, I acted cool and calm and said "Sure!".
I wander back to the deli and figure it must mean I was supposed to pick out some chickens for the next day.. so I go in the freezer, grab a few, stick them on a tray, and set them in the cooler to thaw.
Manager comes back and says, "Oh, forgot to tell you- the chickens are in the left side of the cooler".
Me: "Uh... I got some new ones and stuck them on the right side already.."
Manger: "Huh? Why?".. And she proceeds to go into the cooler and grab a tray of already cooked chickens from the previous day. "Here, these are the ones you're supposed to use. Just throw away any part that looks iffy".
Me: "Wait. What exactly am I supposed to be doing?". I gave in...
Manager: "Picking the chickens so we can use the meat for chicken salad."
Me: "Right. Of course. Thanks!"
So.. I was still a little unclear until of of the stock boys informed me that picking a chicken involve tearing the nasty thing apart and putting all the good meat in a bowl and throwing the rest away. UGH. So I put on gloves and started at it. I'd never touched a chicken in it's original form before.. let alone peel it's skin off. And let me tell you, figuring out what is meat and what is cartilige is not as easy as it looks!
Many questions to the stock boys helped me figure out what exactly to keep and throw away. And, I had no clue those little rats went and told the whole halarious thing to my manager... til she came up and slyly asked me how I was doing.. before cracking up! Gosh.. take it easy on a veggie!
During my senior year of high school I was working out and seemed to be hungry all the time. Friends suggested I start eating chicken to get filled up more. So.. I gave in. Chicken and I had a great relationship.
Then, I move to the midwest. On my first visit to meet my then BF, now Husband's family, I had never tasted red meat before in my life. And, what were they serving that night? That's right! Home grown hamburgers! They took pride in their own meat, so of course I had to eat it! I tried to play it cool.. until Z noticed I was actually eating one and pointed out to the whole family that I'd never tasted one before! To that, I was told "Oh, honey, you don't have to eat it! I wish we would have known!". Ugh. So embarassing! That started my relationship with cow meat. The first time I had a half piece of steak I was so full I had to be rolled out of the dining room..(okay, not quite, but you get the idea..)
However, I've never tasted pork and don't plan to. Neither will I eat anything that ever swam or floated around.. I just can't. I've been trying to do this domestic wife thing and cook all sorts of meat dishes.. but it's made me hate meat more. The first time I bit into some fatty chicken I almost tossed my cookies. So.. other than the occasional meal.. I might be a veggie again.. it's a very fickle relationship. The end.
Some fave veggie foods:
Morningstar Farms Chik'n Nuggets
Morningstar Farms Veggie Corn Dogs
Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Links
Sorry this post was soo long.. but like I said.. It's been a rocky relationship. And yes, if you're wondering, I DO have relationships with foods, exercize classes, fabric patterns, and weather conditions. Don't laugh, I know you do too!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Ignore the blah white walls.. apartment living :p And, here's the sconces I found at target:
...for like $7-something.. and after Z put them on the wall:
(without candles yet)
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
I'll try to go in order. Friday we went skiing.. I LOVE skiing, and the midwest well.. there are no "mountains"- I suppose we could stretch it and call them hills. These are the before pictures(before getting frrozzzenn, before all of us wiping out on an ungroomed trail Z decided to take us down, before stuffing our faces with the lodge's famous fries..)
Also for your cuteness viewing pleasure... My little cousin Chloe- showing some team spirit for my sisters' HS basketball game (colors=blue&white).
She was my flower girl by the way! :)
Okay, that's all for now! I won't overwhelm you with photos any longer! :)
Monday, January 26, 2009
For those of you who don't know me personally (most of you :) ), everytime I go home (something like 6 times in the past year- wedding planning!) we make it a big surprise for someone! I need to do a few posts on the halarious stories we have from surprising my family members.
Also.. I've been making some progress on getting our apartment to feel more "homey", and found some awesome deals on decor that I'll share!
And last but not least.. here's an alert for those of you who are as jet-set as myself! Not sure if this applies to all airlines, but I fly US Air a lot, and Z found this out while packing! As if making you pay $15 to check a bag isn't enough... now the carry on size is SO SMALL you pretty much have to check a bag! *Starts Feb. 1*
Thursday, January 22, 2009
I swear by my Nutrilite vitamins, so I pulled out what's called the triple threat- 3 bio C plus vitamins, 3 triple guard echinacea, and 3 garlic heart care formula. Take that dose 3 times per day and it's supposed to kick it! I'll report back on it's success rate. Also.. I'm going to drink 3 glasses of water with a Strawberry Kiwi Immunity twist tube in each before I leave work today (they're like a little shot of flavor you put in your water- this one has tons of Vitamin C.. and they taste amazing). So... if that doesn't cure me, I'm not sure what will.
.. Other than sleep. Of course, last night our power went out so Z and I gave up on doing things by candle light and went to bed early, so that helps! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there coming down with this darn cold, so take your vitamins & stay healthy so we don't all end up feeling miserable! Now, I must go disinfect my mouse...
NOTE: This is not an advertisement, nor is author trying to promote or demote any brand labels. I just talk about what I like and don't like. No one from Zumba pays me, no one from Nutrilite pays me.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
- I agree- American has come a long way in the area of equality. I'm glad that we are no longer blinded by racism towards blacks. I fully support a BIRACIAL president (just pointing out that he's not 100% black like some have made him). However, I was listening to the radio yesterday when a listener called in and admitted that he voted for Obama for the sole reason that he was black and so was Obama and now was actually taking the time to look at his policies, and didn't like them much. So, blogland, I ask you, is this racism? If I as a white female were to vote for a certain political figure based solely on our common skin color, would I not be considered racist by the black community? I'm afraid I would. I am VERY GLAD blacks are past the oppression of slavery, but.. has it gone to far? Has racial pride turned into a new form of racism? I'll let you decide..
- I will respect the leadership position of president, and believe the entire country should- for presidents past, current, and future. I am not an Obama supporter, however I wish him luck in his attempt at running this country- God knows it's not an easy job. I only ask the same respect from those who are not Bush supporters. He wasn't my favorite guy either, but really, must we stoop to this????
Oh, by the way, terrible american who did this, the George Bush that you painted on hasn't been president for quite some time now. If you're going to do something stupid, you could at least paint on the right guy. Genious.
And, last but not least: To the Americans who sang "Nah nah nah nah, Nah nah nah nah, Hey hey hey, Goodbye..." yesterday.. get a grip, and some respect.
*takes a deep breath* Ahhh.. okay done with the rant. Some things just get me fired up. Tune in later for the regularly scheduled program. :)
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
1. Put the logo on your blog or post.
2. Nominate at least 10 blogs which show GREAT ATTITUDE and/or GRATITUDE
3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
5. Share the love and link to this post and to the person from whom you received the award.
Here are my top picks for Blogs with Great Attitude and Gratitude:
All Things G & D
Newlywedisms by Bryn
Pumps, Pearls, and Politics
Life with B & A
I know I'm supposed to list ten, but I'm new to blogging and I don't even have 10 blogs in my google reader yet, so I promise I will return the award favors as soon as I ramp up my reading list!
The design will go really well with our kitchen.. and for $15?? It's a steal.. just have to talk to Z and stick it in the budget (which we've been following quite well by the way).
And... I think this would look lovely in our living room:
And.. last but not least, these little guys would do wonders with our enormous amount of cords behind our entertainment center and our office desk!
There are tons more I could share.. but you'd probably rather go check it out yourself.. so go for it!
Monday, January 19, 2009
-Toasted almond Salad
-Whole Grain Baguette
-Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast (Yes, I know.. I like chicken.. and stuffing it is fun)
-Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
-Tiramisu for desert (What I'm really pumped about)
(Recipes and pix posted after it's all done!)
Am I missing anything? I really don't know what is wrong with me.. I get REALLY excited about cooking dinner. For me.. that's just.. strange. The things marriage does to you..
Now, as far as how I'm going to get everything ready in the hour and a half I have after work, before they arrive:
-Tiramisu is already made and in fridge
1) Pound Chicken & stuff, put in oven
2) Chop Potatoes & put them, along with Green Beans, on the skillet
3) While that's cooking, wash veggies & make salad
4) Throw baguette in the oven
5) Set table
6) Take all food out of the oven (Which I'm sure won't all be done at the same time)
7) Serve salads, Dish out other food, and:
Let's just hope it goes off that smoothly!
(Sorry for the lack of pictures in this post- they will reappear in the following posts ;) )
Thursday, January 15, 2009
And... this one from our wedding day.. <3
Ahh.... thank you for allowing me to boast a bit.. I promise it won't happen all the time!
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
New York Trash (Oops, I mean Times) Article: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less
Note: whoever wrote this must like prosciutto! This former veggie will be leaving those recipes out! :)
- Monday- Had to clean.. and Z reminded me it was our date night (like I was going to say no!).
- Tuesday- Found out that we got invited to some friends' house for dinner at 6:30. I got home at 4:30 from work and sat on the couch for what was supposed to be 5 minutes, and turned into Z waking me up 5 minutes before we had to leave for dinner.
- Tonight- I have a couple of hours to tackle some dishes, laundry, and de-cluttering, and then people will start arriving for Bible study (we're hosting this week). We usually go late, so there won't be any time after.
- Thursday- We're having Z's sweet grandma and grandpa over for dinner. (What should I cook by the way.. I want to do something with chicken that I haven't tried before.. ideas??)
- Friday- I received our post card thank yous for wedding gifts in the mail today, so I plan on getting those done by this weekend.. eek!!
Monday, January 12, 2009
Zumba and I met about 6 months ago. It was love at first beat. She let me mess up, even miss a few big dates, but was always there with her energy and wonderfully latin music. I, however, was unfaithful. I left her for a few months... met back up at a different gym... then left her again for my wedding, honeymoon, and the holidays. But all that's over now.. and I've come back yet again. Oh, how I missed Zumba. We could totally have a future together.. if it weren't for that one ugly habit she has.... the shimmy. I simply cannot do it. I try.. and, well, my shoulders just aren't the part of me shimmying. :( I'll stick with you, Zumba, just ignore my shimmys and I'll ignore your 12-year-old-I'm-too-young-for-clubbing-so-I-sneak-into-Zumba followers. :)
Note:Author has no ties to the ZUMBA Fitness company, nor was paid for this plug. :)
So.. if you're ever in the area- check it out!!
Friday, January 9, 2009
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1/4 cups KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
8 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 lb.) (I used 10 & had the perfect amount)
1/3 cup KRAFT Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan Dressing
- Grocery list (trying to save trips for the weekend and do it all at once)
- Random Items needed (patch for Z's work jeans, shower drain stopper, etc.)
- Detailed lists of home improvements (must expound on that)
Projects to work on (refinishing/painting furniture)
Where organization efforts are needed
- Fun ideas for my family's trip out here in March
- Dinners/Recipes I plan to cook and when
See.. we're in an apartment. How do you go about making it look like "yours" without painting or any of the other things you're not allowed to alter? That's where I turned to my nestie girls for help! I posed a question about that room- how to coordinate my colors & make the room "flow" a little better, and they came through for me!
Since we received a lot of Aqua/Brown things for our wedding (those were our colors), we have no choice but to make use of those things in this room. Here's some ideas:
- White down comforter w/ aqua/brown quilt folded in half over end of bed (both gifts) See right.. maybe I'll get an aqua duvet..
- Lots of white/aqua/brown pillows:
I have to DIY this pillow with my leftover ribbon! Adorable or what?? [Will post instructions once attempted..]
- Brown bedskirt
- DIY curtain rods: wooden dowels painted brown w/ a metallic finish & fancy end 'things'
- Sheer swag curtains- don't need full curtains- our blinds are always closed
- DIY headboard.. possibly like this one found on the Trading Spaces site
- Refinish or paint the dresser we already have in that room
- Purchase a new computer desk.. probably Craigslist it.. which means possibly refinishing that as well!
Sidenote... I cannot walk properly today.. more on that later. :)
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Ever feel super good about the workout you just had and then that horriffic moment comes... you sneeze and your abs feel like they're being ripped mercilesly from your stomach?? That was me at work yesterday. And I sneezed like 7 times! Not fun! And today.. bent over to pick something up & my backside had the same sensation! Lord, help me!! I love it, but I hate it..
However, one benefit is that we'll get some use out of our awesome new scale! We got a gift album for the wedding and ordered this:
S43 Salter® Body Fat ScaleIs it right to offer a body fat scale as a wedding gift? Of course. You look great together, and this precision device can help you keep it that way! Plus, the modern design with beautiful glass platform and invisible electrodes trimmed in brushed silvertone adds sleek style to any bath. Advanced BIA technology measures body fat and body water to within 0.1%. Choose normal, athlete or even childe mode. Up to 400 lbs/180 kg capacity in 0.2 lb/0.1 kg increments. Stores data for up to ten people! Calorie feature displays calories needed to maintain present body composition. Measures muscle mass. Four "AAA" batteries included. Ten-year manufacturer's warranty. Shipped separately: allow extra time for delivery.
Pretty cool, eh? We had way too much fun trying it out!! I'm guessing they're around $50 to buy in-store. I'll let you know how we like it after tracking our body fat % decrease!! :)